A Step-by-Step Guide to Secure a Google Grants Free Advertising Account for Not-for-Profits.
What is Google Grants and what are the benefits?
For those who don't know, Google Grants is a scheme which enables Not-for-profit organisations to advertise free on the Google Search platform.
NFP's can secure $10,000USD each month in online advertising (pay-per-click) through the Google Grants program.
This is an awesome program that Google has created to help NFP's and NGO's get their message out to the wider online community.
There are a few hoops that you have to jump through to secure and maintain a Google Ads Grant account, but for the potential brand awareness and donation revenue you could be generating for your organisation, it is definitely worth the effort!
To try and make it easier for NFP's like yourself that are interested in securing a Google Grants account, we've created this step-by-step guide to help make your life a little bit easier. If you need any more help with the application process or are you having trouble getting approved, please reach out to one of our Google experts.
Step 1. Check Eligibility Requirements
- Valid charity within Google’s supported list of countries (Australia is supported).
- Must not be a Government entity, hospital or education institution.
- Agree with the terms and conditions and ads policies of Google Grants regarding donations
- Must have a high-quality website that meets Google standards of advertising (Internetrix can assess whether your website is up to scratch and help update it if need be, just let us know you'd like a review)
Step 2. Complete the application process to secure your Google Ads Grant account
- Sign in to the correct business Google Account and begin your application for Google for Nonprofits here. This is set out in a simple series of multi-select questions so applying is extremely easy to complete.
- Your initial registration will be reviewed and you will be either pre-approved or rejected with feedback.
- Once you’ve been registered within the Google for Nonprofits scheme, you can begin to setup your Google Ads Grants account.
- Firstly, you will have to do the first basic steps of account setup including selecting your billing country, timezone etc.
- Secondly, complete the pre-qualification survey create by Google here . This will only take you 10 minutes. Next, complete the short Google Ads Training video and quiz provided here.
- Once you completed these 3 steps you will be able to submit your Google Ads Account for the second round of approval (also know as pre-qualification).
Step 3. Configure your account details for approval round 3!
- Once you've been approved and you first enter your Google Grants account, you will be initiated to setup the following:
- Your organisation and products
- Your campaign type and goals for the campaigns i.e. conversions, website visit
- Geographically targeting - where you want your ad to show
- Your initial ad copies and budget (remember keep this capped at $329USD a day!)
- Submit your account for a third and final review with Google
Step 4. Continually optimise performance to maintain your Grants account
Now that you’ve secured your new Google Grants account and have started consuming the $10,000USD free monthly budget, it is important to continually maintain your account performance to meet Google's strict requirements.
Here’s a summary of what Google expects:
- Make sure you are only using text ads, you can not use other Google advertising platforms including Display or AdSense platforms
- 5% CTR must be maintained. Accounts will be discontinued if you don’t meet this requirement for 2 consecutive months.
- Minimum ad quality score of 2
- At least 2 ad groups with 2 ads in each should be live at all times.
- At least 2 sitelink or ad extensions should be part of your ads.
- It’s a good idea to login to your account regularly. Google can pause accounts without notice if they believe they are not given the correct attention.
Maintaining your Google account is not always an easy task. You need to be consistently delivering meaningful ads that are delivering conversions. This can sometimes be tricky, but for the free advertising budget it is definitely worth it.
Internetrix have configured and currently manage a number of Google Grants accounts for our NFP partners. As 12+ years as a Google Certified Business, we know the ins and outs of Google Ads and the Grants scheme. Our team of Google Ads experts can help you firstly secure your Google Grants account, create meaningful campaigns, drive more traffic and online donations, and ultimately get the most out of your free Google advertising budget. Get in touch today if you have any questions or are seeking a professional to maintain your account performance.